MLA Manuscript Format
The Modern Language Association sets recommendations for formatting a paper and creating references. The information follows the rules found in the seventh edition of the MLA Handbook of Writers of Research Papers and explains the typical requirements for student papers. Click here for a sample MLA Paper.
Formatting the MLA Style Paper
- Materials and font – Use 8 ½ ” x 11″ standard white paper. The favored typeface is Times New Roman, with 12 pt. font size.
- Margins, line spacing, and paragraph indents – Use one inch margins on every page. Double-space between all lines of the text including references, block quotes, headings etc. Indent one half inch from left margin.
- Single-space between all periods and other punctuation marks unless if your instructor favors two spaces.
First Page Formatting
- A title page is not required unless if your instructor recommends.
- Top left corner margin list your name, your teacher’s name, the course, and the date. Double-space between lines of text.
- Center the title after double-spacing again.
- Write title using the standard rules of capitalization.
- Double space and indent before beginning body of the paper
- Produce a header and page number in the top right corner of your paper one half inch from the top of paper.
- Your last name should be the header unless if your teacher has another preference. Include header before page number on every page.
- Number all pages consecutively. (Ex. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)